Monday, March 2, 2009

Roommate reasoning

Why do we have roommates? The giant amount of complaining would suggest that being or having a roommate is a bad experience, yet people do it all the time? Why? This subject doesn't require too much research. The top two reasons that I have found for being or having a roommate are:


1. Financially needing wanting someone to help with your bills.

2. Not wanting to live alone.


I think everyone can understand the financial reasons for having a roommate. Life is expensive. Sometimes rent and utilities can be a lot for one person to handle by themselves. A roommate is a good way to cut those costs.


I am a solitary person. It never occurred to me that some people might choose to have a roommate based purely on the fact that they hate living alone, but apparently, those people are out there.


Recently, I have rediscovered some of the little pleasures of living with another person. I especially like waking up and having tea with my roommate before we both start our crazy and hectic days. I remember not too long ago I came in the house and he took one look at me and knew something was wrong. When he asked about it I just burst into tears. He came over and hugged me and offered me a tissue. I felt like such a jerk. I'd been so miserable about having someone in my house that I had failed to recognize his attempts to connect with me.


I think in order to be a good roommate you must find a way to connect with your roommate. If you find a reason to say something nice and say it consistently enough you will eventually train yourself to think more positively about the other person. This has worked wonders for me. The first thing I think about now is not how there are dishes in the sink and poo in the litter box. The first thing I think about is how nice it is that both of us like cats, men, and good food. In that frame of mind I am less likely to speak harshly or out of anger. This is the first step on the path to roommate success.

No comments:

Post a Comment